Monday, November 14, 2011

Monday Munchies: Kiwi Cupcakes via La Dulce Magdalena!!

Monday again! And despite my good intentions, not a blog entry since last Monday... but this time it was a damned cold that kept me running at about 50% and even though I managed not to miss work, I just didn't have the brain power for much more.


I'm thinking that I was very lucky to have managed to make these really yummy cupcakes last Friday, but I had promised cupcakes to my friend Irene for when she came over for coffee, and cupcakes she had!



I got this super yummy recipe from the blog of another amazing Spanish lady that bakes marvels, La Dulce Magdalena!




These cupcakes are amazingly moist and fluffy, I think the kiwi pieces in the batter are the cause, and the cheese & lemon frosting is absolutely delicious! So much, that my dad ate all the left over frosting in the bowl!


You can find the original recipe HERE in Spanish, but I'm gonna translate for all you English speaking ladies.


Kiwi Cupcakes
Makes about 15 regular sized cupcakes

Ingredients:

For the batter:
- 200 gr flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 170 gr unsalted butter
- 180 gr granulated sugar
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 kiwis, peeled and cubed
- More kiwi, laminated, to decor.

For the frosting:
- 225 gr cream cheese (Philadelphia type).
- 45 gr room temperature butter
- 75 gr powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar extract, or if you don't have any, subtitute for 2 teaspoons lemon juice and its zest.


Method:

- Preheat the oven at 160ºC (325ºF) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcakes cases. In a bowl, shift the flour and baking power together. In another bowl cream together butter and sugar, then add the eggs, adding the flour & baking powder and the vanilla extract. Mix well. Add half the cubed kiwis to the batter, combining well, don't overmix.

- Fill the cupcakes cases, not more than 2/3 of them. Make sure the batter is even and then spread the rest of the cubed kiwi on top. Bake for 20-30 minutes, till a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the cupcake pan, and then cool off completely in a rack.

- Meanwhile prepare the frosting mixing the butter with the icing sugar, beating well and add the cream cheese, add the lemon and mix well (it can be done by hand, though better with an electric mixer). You can use either a piping bag or just spread it with a spoon. Add a slice of kiwi on top to finish them up.

- Eat them all!!



11 comments:

  1. I LOVE kiwi fruits. Full of vitamin C! I have never tried Kiki cupcakes. It must be so nice (like a nice combination of sweet and sour).
    Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!
    x
    Kyoko

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡¡¡¡Me encantaaaaaaaan!!!! ;-)

    Por cierto, te recomiendo poner el gadget de seguidores arriba, lo primero, para que la gente lo vea y se apunte!!!

    ¡¡Muacks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good! I'll have to try making some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful and they look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow these look so good! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good!! I love kiwi...definitely will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh, those are beautiful and they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Son súper bonitos! Qué chulis.
    Además con lo que me gustan los kiwis estos seguro que me animo con ellos (no soy muy de cupcakes....)
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  9. bookmarked this recipe - i have wanted to make these since you told me about them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this recipe is the one I've shared with more people so far! Including neighbors and co-workers!

    Magdalena, estos cupcakes son un exitazo!! Mil gracias por compartir tus recetas!

    ReplyDelete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!