Friday, November 22, 2013

Friday Reads: Review of World After by Susan Ee!!

This week's Friday Reads start with a very much awaited sequel and one book that I started reading as soon as it downloaded to my Kindle app and that kept me up till I finished it, at almost 5 am!


World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)World After by Susan Ee

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


World After has been one of those very much awaited sequels of the year, and even if I was lucky enough to read AngelFall earlier this year so the wait was not as long... well, it still was a nail-biting-kind-of-wait!

Angelfall was my favourite angel book ever and a book I have to push the bf to read and World After is the kind of sequel that makes you happy, avoiding any of the falls that sequels might have and living up to the quite high expectations I had for it! I will try my best to keep my review spoiler free, but there might be some spoilers for Angelfall.

World After starts exactly where Angelfall leaves us, and so we have Penryn and Raffe apart and dealing with different sets of problems. Penryn now is reunited with her mother and Paige and they have been rescued by the Resistance. We meet again with some of the characters that Raffe and Penryn encountered, like Dee and Dum and it seems like being with them is the best option for Penryn and her family.

Penryn is the focus of most of the action for a big part of the book but that doesn't mean Raffe is completely absent, since we get some flashbacks/memories from Raffe's POV that are an absolute treat.

This book is full of action and full of very tough emotional moments, with once again a big look at the best and worst of human nature. We also get to learn a bit more about the politics of what's going on with the angels, and none of the information we learn is pretty or good news. Penryn goes through a lot of tough choices and she has to learn some really hard lessons, not only about the world she now lives in, but also about her own reactions and choices.

The moment she and Raffe are reunited we get back their banter and Raffe's sense of humour and we also get plenty of adorable swoony moments even through some life and death situations. Romance here is not your typical YA one, there are loads of small moments but they are not what moves the plot along at all. Penryn and Raffe are not yet a couple but they make one hell of an awesome team.

There are plenty of creepy moments, some supplied by Penryn's mom herself. She is such a complex character, always changing and always making you wonder how crazy she really is? And how come she get those moments of clarity? And what if she really has some knowledge and her talking of the devil is more than just her madness at play? Paige is also quite a mystery and a very complex character, and I'm quite intrigued as to what her role will be in the upcoming books.

World After was a brilliant mix of action, humour and plot progression sprinkled with a little understated romance for good measure. A fantastic sequel that earns a very well deserved 4.5 stars.



View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree Pili. I think Ee did perfect in this book. I just have lots of love for this series. I've seen a couple 3 star reviews out there and I actually get personally offended. haha. I think I'm a bit obsessed with this series. So happy you love it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha, I know what you mean! Whenever I see a bad review for these books or other books I've really loved I'm all "WTF you mean you didn't absolutely adore it?!" but oh well, to each their own!
      I'm still super grateful to you and Sam for pushing Angelfall, cause this is a series that must be read! According to Goodreads book three comes out next year in May?!? So the wait won't be as bad!

      Delete
  2. OMG I can't wait until I get my hands on this book, I feel like I've been waiting forever. Glad I only read Angelfall last year! It sounds like it totally lived up to your expectations though. Great review Pili!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, Jeann! You need to read it, like now! I totally ignored my pile of books for review when this one downloaded into my kindle! Brilliant book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone seems to LOVE this book. And the first one. I guess I need to read them both pretty soon then :D Great review. <3 and I'm so happy that you loved it :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to check them, Carina! Brilliant books!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!