Saturday, March 15, 2014

Saturday Pages: Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner!

Hello everyone! I'm starting a new day for reviews here in the blog! I have a huge backlog of reviews since I went on a massive reading binge during my vacation time, and I want to share more reviews of those books I read with you all! So here it is, the first edition of Saturday Pages!

To kick off Saturday Pages I'm sharing a review of another book for my 2014 Series Challenge, it's one of the challenges that I had been slacking off a bit more as of late, but I remedied that quite a bit during my vacation time!




Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This is a series where I find the world building so intriguing and with some many questions still unanswered that always compells me to keep on reading, even if with every book I take a while to warm up to Lark, the main character.

It wasn't as hard for me to get rooting for Lark in this book as it was in the first, cause she's a bit more determined and more of a fighter, even if now with her gift/curse she keeps on doubting herself. Granted that her ability is dangerous and she isn't sure she'll be able to control it, but it annoys me so much that it takes it so long for her to start training to try and control it.

Shadowlark is mostly the journey of Lark to find herself and finally accept who she is with her abilities and to accept the darkness in herself and not let it control her, as much as it is the physical journey to find her brother Basil. That journey takes her to Lether, a city where magic is also harvested from the Renewables to keep their population safe, and their leader Prometheus rules the city with an iron fist. There are a few revelations that I guessed quite ahead of time and Lark does have to make a few hard choices.

The relationship with Oren progresses very slowly, from which I'm thankful, and they have to find a way to accept themselves and each other with the darkness and the flaws, and to find a way to make their relationship work, because they simply seem to need each other to go on.

This is a good sequel not suffering much for middle book syndrome, even if by the end of the book we haven't got that much new information. Lark has grown and she has decided she will go on her own journey looking for answers she needs, and not just following orders, running from someone, or looking for someone to solve her problems.

A solid 3 stars and I'm quite looking forward for the final book in the trilogy to see if we finally get answers about the world and to see if Lark can find the answers she is looking for.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to read book one (A) but I'm glad you liked this, and sorry you didn't love it. But yeah. I'm glad you are looking forward to the next one :D It sounds like there is no lve triangle? fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were certain uncertainity from the main character, but no, no love triangle proper! Thankfully!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!