Saturday, May 17, 2014

Saturday Pages: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers!!!

Hey everyone!

This week I'm gonna start Saturday Pages with a sequel for a book that I loved and that I have to thank Alyssa from The Eater of Books for the recommendation of Grave Mercy, cause this sequel is fantastic and I'm now very much impatiently awaiting book 3!

I'm getting a bit of way into my 2014 TBR Pile Reading Challenge, adding this book there, as well as to the 2014 Series Challenge!








Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I loved Grave Mercy and it was a fantastic discovery that I have to thank Alyssa for (thanks girl!) and once I got back to reading the sequel, I think I managed to fall in love with this one even more!

Where Grave Mercy was our introduction to this rich world, one that is historical fiction at its core with a few touches of fantasy and a new mythology added. Dark Triumph continues more or less where Grave Mercy left us, even if the beginning is a different POV for scenes we already experienced in the first book.

Sybella was one of Ismae's convent sisters, and one that started extremely wild and unhappy but that ended up feeling like the convent was her home, the place to feel safe. But once she was deemed to be prepared to undertake missions in St. Mortain's name and will, she is sent back to d'Albret's household, the very same she wanted to run away from.

She has to deal with d'Albret who claims her parentage, and Sybella has no small number of issues with her family and with herself, doubting her faith on Mortain, her own intentions and character and fears if she is tainted by her d'Albret legacy. Despite all that, and despite the mission the abbess of St Mortain has entrusted her, Sybella's main focus is trying to kill d'Albret. But then she gets an assigment to rescue Beast (one of Duval's friends and main ally) from the dungeons, and in the process she ends up having to go with him to Rennes.

The plot in this one is more focused on the personal side, not so much on the bigger political issues going on. Since a big part of the book is about Sybella and Beast's journey to Rennes and how their relationship develops and Sybella starts seeing herself in a slight different way. Then once they reach Rennes, Beast joins the Duchess' council and we rejoin the bigger political picture.

Sybelle is such a complex and flawed character, I have to say that I might love her even more than I did Ismae! She has such a long journey to self acceptance and discover all through the book! But once we see her grow into the woman she's meant to be, it is a fantastic feeling to see this Sybella as a formidable enemy and an even more formidable ally and friend to have on your side!

Beast is quite the unusual love interest, since he isn't one of those stunning and striking heroes, but he simply seemed the right match for Sybelle. Their relationship stems from respect and admiration from each other's talents & character, and acceptance of each other's darkess. I really loved how it developed all through the book, and how unsure both of them were but how much power accepting it gave to them both.

I absolutely love the world building in these books, the fantasy aspects of the mythology are brilliant and the complexity of the historical plot weaved into the story is stunning. Full of details and with a fantastic pacing that never lets your attention waver from the story.

This was a fantastic sequel, with no hint of middle book syndrome whatsoever and very much deserving of 5 stars! Now I cannot wait for book 3!



View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. I loved this one so much, too! It's definitely one of my all-time favorites. And Beast! <3
    I think Mortal Heart is the most coveted book this year. At least half the bloggers I know would give their right hand to read it early. Me included, of course. What's one limb in comparison... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, totally willing to sacrifice limbs for this one! I'm totally dying to read Annith's story!! *flails*

      Delete
  2. Alright, this series sounds totally awesome Pili. I can't believe I haven't read it yet! Lovely review, I just love how the characters, world building and the mythology sound in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You truly need to start this series! Final book comes out in November, so you have time to catch up, Jeann!

      Delete
  3. YAY :D So happy you loved this book as well. <3 Sigh. I loved it so much. SO GOOD. Ack. And Beast. I loved him. He is unusual, yes, but I loved him so much. Sigh. I'm just DYING DYING DYING for book three! I cannot wait :D So excited. Amazing review sweetie. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I loved Beast so much too! Mortal Heart can't publish soon enough!!
      Thank you sweetie!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!