Friday, November 6, 2015

Friday Reads: ARC Review of The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes!!

Hello there guys!

Some days life as an adult sucks! I've been worrying about money and bills and still trying to buy things for the house and sort trips for next year and dammit it's a doozy for the brain! *flops down in bed*

I think that's partly why I've been a bit more unmotivated to blog as of late, I keep on reading and not reviewing and half the time I'm online, I'm only fluffing around...

But today I just realized it's Friday so I managed to crank up a half decent review for this week's Friday Reads for a very cool book that if you're a fantasy lover and you enjoy amazing humour, YOU JUST NEED TO READ!


The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)The Palace Job by Patrick Weekes

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


There are some reviews that really make you want to read a book, and when I read Jessica from Rabid Reads review for The Palace Job, it really made me want to read this one ASAP!

So when I saw this one and the next two book of the series up for request on Netgalley, I just had to give them a try, and yet, very wise choice on my part!

The Palace Job is a fantasy heist book, with a very random crew of people trying to steal a very precious something for itself and for revenge.

Fantasy heist in a world with magic, magical floating cities where only the rich live, the Republic is at peace with the Empire but no one seems to be happy about it, and a puppet theater keeps the public informed of the goings-on, political or otherwise!

Our main character is Loch, a prisoner in the bowels of the floating city of Heaven's Spire, former military and with a past that shapes her motivation to get out of there. Loch is a woman, a fighter and a Ursujan, a woman of colour. The Republic is supposed to have equal rights for all, but prejudice for the Ursujan is still rampant.

Then we have Kail, also Ursujan, former military and an uncanny ability to insult someone's mother is probably every known language. Tern is the expert on safes and picking every lock, Icy the Imperial contorsionist and martial arts pacifist expert, a magical unicorn, Hess the magician,a Death Priestess with a talking warhammer and a boy with no apparent ability that was rescued along with the magician.

There's plenty of action and even social commentary here and there, but the thing that this book does brilliantly is mixing amazing sense of humour everywhere! Sometimes a bit some subtly, others a lil more blatantly but always always SO WELL DONE!

Planning and plotting and second guessing and keeping an ace up their sleeve and even confraternizing with the enemy! There is never a dull moment in this book!

The world building was very well done, although I think the bigger strenght was on the social and political climate more than on physical desriptions, but it was done in a way that the Republic felt very real!

The book can be divided, no exactly half and half but nearly so into assembling the team and the actual heist, so keep that in mind when you start to wonder what trolls have to do with anything in the story!

Not much romance to speak of in here, even if there are some bits here and there. One of them was easier to see and root for and the other was more told than shown, so maybe that's what didn't make me give this one a full 5 stars? I'm not sure, I simply go with my gut feeling and this one felt like a 4 to 4.5 stars.

If you like fantasy, this is a book and a series to add to your reading pile ASAP!


View all my reviews

10 comments:

  1. Fantasy heist, oooo! Hmmm, not much romance though. I don't think I want to start another series at the moment BUT I will definitely keep this one in mind for future Pili-Pushed reads! :D

    Fabulous review, Pili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Do! Book 3 came out last month, so you can even binge read all three at some point! ;)

      Delete
  2. A puppet theater that tells the news! That's a perfect political statement, ha ha. I wish I had time to read these, you have made the first book sound extremely enticing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And last I remember they're pretty cheap for Kindle too! ;)

      Delete
  3. Aw, I'm sorry things are a bit stressful for you sweetie :\ Sounds annoying. Sigh. But hope you are doing good, even so. <3 Hugs. And yay for still reading lots :D I had not heard of this one before. But I am now curious :D It sounds pretty good. Not for me, though, lol. But so so glad that you liked it a lot :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still doing okay, just a bit stressed! *hugs* Thank you sweetie!

      Delete
  4. Awwwww I am so sorry to hear that you haven't been as motivated lately. I totally feel you about being an adult sucking though. I've been having those feels lately and I am still in college! THINGS CAN BE SO HARD SOMETIMES, PILI. WHY?!

    I really do like the sound of the book though. Fantasy heists ROCK (Hellooo Six of Crowsss) and I love that you enjoyed this book, Pili!

    I am gonna hop on over to GR and add it to the never ending to-be-read list!

    Lovely review, Pili and thanks for sharing! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Add it Rashika!! I really hope you'll give it a try and like it!!

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean Pili, sometimes it's just a bit hard to blog! Hope you get your groove back soon. This fantasy heist sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeann! I hope having a few days off will help!
      And yep, I hope you'll give this one a try because it was awesome!

      Delete

¡Muchas gracias por vuestros comentarios, leerlos me alegra el día!/ Thanks a lot for all your comments, reading them brightens my day!!